I started using the Dave Ramsey’s cash envelope system for budgeting recently, and it’s a game changer!
I love anything that makes life a little simpler, and cash envelopes make budgeting SO easy.
*Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. Read our full disclosure policy here.
If you aren’t familiar with this system, here’s how it works:
- Create a budget. Need some help? Check out our budgeting bundle which walks you through exactly how to set up a budget!
- Choose your cash envelope categories. These will be expenses that are variable. For example, you don’t want to include your mortgage, cell phone payment, or any other fixed bills that are probably automatically withdrawn from your checking account anyway.
- Once you’ve selected your categories, get some envelopes and label them.
- Put cash (enough for one month) in the envelopes for each category.
- Once you run out of cash in a particular envelope, you’re done with spending on that category for the month!
- Decide what to do with any cash leftover in your envelopes at the end of the month (you might put this into savings, use it to pay off debt, or spend it on something fun…whatever you choose!)
This list will give you 50 ideas for your cash envelope categories. But, obviously, you don’t want to have 50 separate envelopes…that would be a big mess!
I’d recommend using 5-15 envelopes to keep it simple.
I personally use six envelopes (purchased from the Etsy shop greatbynate). Mine are:
- Fast food
- Household items (medical, toiletries, paper products, cleaning, etc.)
- Date night
- Outings with friends
- Fun spending money
I’m giving you a list of 50 so you can get plenty of ideas for your own envelopes because there are a ton of different options!
How specific (or broad) your categories are is totally up to you. Do whatever makes the most for your situation. If you buy Starbucks every day, for example, it might make sense to have a “coffee” envelope.
I buy Starbucks only occasionally, so I take Starbucks purchases from my “fast food” envelope. This works for me. Do what works for you!
Here are 50 ideas for your cash envelopes!
- Food at work
- Outings with friends
- Outings with family
- Date nights
- Pet stuff
- Kid stuff
- Kids’ allowance
- Kids’ toys
- Kids’ clothes
- Happy hours
- Gardening items
- Yard maintenance
- Car maintenance
- Household items
- Cleaning products
- Home Depot
- Spouse 1 – spending
- Spouse 2 – spending
- Craft supplies
- Organizing supplies <<—- maybe I need to add an envelope for this one ;)
- Home decor
- Road trip
- Replacement items
In which categories do you typically overspend?